Why make your own dog treats?
In this day and age one can never be too sure what is in your companion’s treats that you buy at the pet store or at your local supermarket. So if you are concerned with what your companion is eating it’s time to make your own treats.
It is very simple to do and you will need very little time to make treats to spoil your companion.
Below is a recipe for pumpkin and peanut butter treats.
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil* – Sunflower or Canola
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted that will solidify at room temperature, melted
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Combine pumpkin, peanut butter, eggs, and oil in a bowl. Add in baking soda and whole wheat flour. Stir until a stiff dough forms. Knead dough or mix just until flour is incorporated.
- Roll out dough with a rolling pin and use a cookie cutter to cut out dog bone shapes, or just bake into little circles like cookies. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Whisk the coconut oil and peanut butter until very smooth. Drizzle over the treats and cool till glaze hardens (it does best in the fridge or freezer).
- Once cool keep in an airtight container and out of reach of your companion.